|London: The Rose|
Country: England, United Kingdom
Borough: London Borough of Southwark
Location: Bankside, 59 Park Street
Built 1587 for the business man Philip Henslowe as the first theatre on London's Bankside. Enlarged 1592. Used for performances of plays by Kyd, Jonson, Shakespeare, and Marlowe. Closed 1606.
Remains discovered and partially excavated 1989. Subsequently covered for preservation. On 13 Apr 1999 an exibition on the history of the Rose Theatre opened on the site. The relics themselves are not open to the public.
Notable world premieres:
+ if the play performed was indeed Shakespeare's
Links: www.roseplayhouse.org.uk, Theatres Trust, Wikipedia
Reverse Text: "The Rose Theatre (reconstruction). The first phase of the theatre, as built in 1587. It was later considerably enlarged. Patining by C. Walter Hodges"|
Publisher: The Museum of London; 132; P. J. 1/90
For a picture of all stamps in this series, see London: "Bankside Theatres".|
Front Text: "The Rose 1592"
Reverse Text: "Shakespeare's Globe (The Rose 1592). Reproduced from a stamp designed by C Walter Hodges and issued by Royal Mail on 8 August 1995"
Publisher: Royal Mail Stamp Card Series; PHQ 172(b) 8.95; 1995
|Permanent link: https://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1130|