|London: Queen's Hall|
Country: England, United Kingdom
Borough: City of Westminster
Location: Fitzrovia, Langham Place
Concert hall, built 1893 by Thomas Knightley. Ca. 2500 seats. From 1895 to 1941, home of the promenade concerts founded by Robert Newman and Henry J. Wood ("The Proms"). From the 1930s, home to the BBC Symphony Orchestra and the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Destroyed by bombs on 10/11 May 1941. Remains demolished.
Front Text: "Queen's Hall in 1924. Home of the 'Promenade' demolished by German Air Raid Night of 10/11 May 1941", "Henry J. Wood", "(Courtesy: The Michael Weahtland Memorial Trust)"|
Publisher: Collector-Classics, Croydon; C7526
Type: mid-20th-century reproduction of a 1924 photograph; Real Photo
Picture: composer Frederick Delius at Queen's Hall in 1929; see NPG website|
Reverse Text: "Frederick Delius, 1862-1934. Painting by Ernest Procter, 1929. National Portrait Gallery (3861)"
Publisher: Raithby, Lawrence & Company Ltd., Leicester and London
|Permanent link: https://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/4398|