|London: Greenwich Theatre|
Country: England, United Kingdom
Borough: Royal Borough of Greenwich
Location: Greenwich, Croom's Hill, Stockwell Street / Nevada Street
First venue on the site opened 1855 as a music hall attached to the Rose & Crown pub. In the 19th century, the theatre underwent frequent name changes ("New Greenwhich Theatre", "Theatre Royal, Greenwich", "New Prince of Wales's Theatre", "Morton's Theatre", "Carlton Theatre", "Greenwich Theatre"). 1871 rebuilding by W. R. Hough, 1885 rebuilding by J. G. Buckle. 1895 rebuilding, re-opened as "Greenwich Hippodrome". Used as a theatre and cinema. Closed after 1949. 1969 major rebuilding by B. Meeking, re-opened as "Greenwich Theatre".
Links: www.greenwichtheatre.org.uk, Theatres Trust, CinemaTreasures, EUTA, Wikipedia
Front Text: "Greenwich Hippodrome, Croom's Hill, South London", signed: N. Charlesworth 1987|
Reverse Text: "Drawn by Nicholas Charlesworth"
Publisher: The Badger Press, Westbury; Vaudeville Postcards
|Permanent link: https://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/4431|