|London: Olympic Cinema, Barnes|
Country: England, United Kingdom
Borough: London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
Location: Barnes, 117 Church Road
Opened 20 Dec 1906 as "Byfeld Hall" (also known as "Barnes Cinema & Variety Theatre"). 1919 renamed "Picture House", 1925 renamed "Barnes Theatre" and used as a drama theatre. 1930 renamed "Ranleigh Cinema", later "Barnes Super Cinema". 1943 renamed "Plaza Cinema". Damaged by fire in 1951. Repaired and reopened 1952 as "New Vandyke Cinema". Closed March 1953. Later converted into a film studio, then a recording studio ("Olympic Studio") famous for rock and pop music recordings of artists like The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Coldplay and Madonna. Closed 2009. 2013 converted into a two-screen cinema (125 and 65 seats). Re-opened as "Olympic Cinema".
Links: www.olympiccinema.co.uk, www.arthurlloyd.co.uk, Theatres Trust, CinemaTreasures, Wikipedia
Front Text: "The Barnes Theatre, London, formerly Byfeld Hall", signed: N. Charlesworth|
Reverse Text: "Drawn by Nicholas Charlesworth, The British Music Hall Society"
Publisher: The Badger Press, Westbury; Vaudeville Postcards
|Permanent link: https://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/4420|