|Paris: Salle des Machines|
Location: Palais des Tuileries (between the Pavillon de l'Horloge and the Pavillon de Marsan)
Theatre of the Palais des Tuileries, built 1660-1662 by Louis Le Vau and Gaspare Vigarani. Opened 7 Feb 1662 with Francesco Cavalli's "L'Ercole amante". From 24 Jan 1764 until 23 Jan 1770 main venue of the Paris Opera. 1770-1782 home to the "Comédie-Française" company. Also known as "Théâtre des Tuileries". Up to 4000 seats. Various rebuildings. From 1792 also used as a parliament building. Destroyed during the Paris Commune on 23 May 1871. Remains later demolished.
Notable world premieres:
Picture: The Crowning of Voltaire after the sixth performance of Irène in 1778, engraving by Charles-Etienne Gaucher (1741-1804) after Jean-Michel Moreau (1741-1814)|
Front Text: "L'apothéose de Voltaire au Théâtre Français par Moreau l jeune"
Publisher: Fernand Nathan, Editeur, Paris; 437; XVIII-12
Type: early 20th-century postcard of a late 18th-century engraving; Blank Back
|Permanent link: https://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/7535|