|Berlin: Schiller-Theater (old)|
Country: Germany (Deutschland)
Location: Charlottenburg, Bismarckstraße 110
Built 1905-1906 by Max Littmann for the city of Charlottenburg and the "Schiller-Theater AG". Sculptoral works by Düll and Petzold, painted decoration and curtain by Julius Mössel. Named in honour of the German poet and playwright, Friedrich Schiller (1759-1805). Opened 1 Jan 1907 with Schiller's "Die Räuber". Home to the "Schiller-Theater-Gesellschaft" drama company. In the 1920s and 1930s, used as an additional location of the Prussian state drama company (whose main home was the "Schauspielhaus"). 1194 seats.
1937-1938 major exterior reconstruction (new façades) and interior reconstruction (simplification and addition of a government box) by Paul Baumgarten sr. for the city of Berlin. Subsequently used as a municipal theatre by the city of Berlin. 1200 seats. Destroyed by bombs on 23 Nov 1943.
[1950-1951, a new Schiller-Theater was built at the site, using some remains of the old theatre.]
Front Text: "Charlottenburg, Schillertheater"|
Publisher: Verlag Alfred Lubranczyk, Berlin
Sent: from Charlottenburg to Mansfeld, 1912
Front Text: "Charlottenburg, Schiller-Theater, Grolmannstrasse, Ecke Bismarckstrasse"|
Publisher: Kunstverlag J. Goldiner, Berlin
Sent: by German Forces' Postal Service, from Charlottenburg to Zwickau, 1917
Picture: after the 1937-1938 rebuilding|
Front Text: sign: "Schiller Theater"
Reverse Text: "Berlin-Charlottenburg, Schillertheater"
Publisher: Theo Heep; 195
Type: Real Photo
|Permanent link: http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/id/1689|